Last month our helper, Ms. Bebe, came to us asking for help for her neighbor, Estrelia. In December, Estrelia's husband had suddenly died from a heart attack. Estrelia was left to take care of 12 children, ages 1-22. My immediate response was of course we'll help her. It would be difficult to take care of 12 children as a single mother in the states, but taking care of 12 children in a third world country where there is no government assistance is even more difficult and almost impossible. We talked with Bebe about the needs of the family and made plans to take food and clothing to her later in the week.
A few days later, loaded with rice, milk, sardines, tuna, Milo, fresh fruit, and clothing, we visited the home of Estrelia. When I say home, most of you probably pictured a real house with four walls and bedrooms and bathrooms, however, Estrelia's home was a 4' x 6' space with walls and a roof made from advertising banners. It was a space that most Americans wouldn't even consider using as a storage place, let alone, a home for a mother of 12. We visited with Estrelia and learned that her oldest son had left home to find work and that her second to oldest child was driving a tricycle to earn money for the family. Her six year old son and 10 year old daughter came in to meet us a little later. No, they had not been at school, but had instead been selling rags on a corner to make money for the family. Bebe and Estrelia both confided in us that their greatest concern was that two of Estrelia's teen-age sons had taken to snatching, or stealing.
To be honest, my first thought, was what kind of family have we agreed to help? We continued talking with the mother and learned that she too was devastated by the actions of her children. They had not been raised that way and they were a family well respected in their church. The children had never participated in this behavior while their father had been alive. Why now?
Later that evening, I came to a very personal realization that made me regret my earlier thoughts. Remi, our 3 month old baby girl, was hungry and she was crying with all her might as Doug made her bottle as quickly as he could. Her cries were piercing! It was such a relief to put that bottle in her mouth and quiet her. As I did so, I realized with a pang how those young boys must feel when they hear their younger siblings crying for food. I couldn't imagine not being able to give Remi her milk when she was hungry or being able to give Lilia food when she asked to be fed. But what if I were in that situation? Would I, could I resort to stealing? I would like to think I could find better options, but love and starvation are powerful motivators! I was filled with guilt, this family did not need my critical judgment, but the gentle love of God!
How to meet that need was our next concern. Supporting such a large family was going to be expensive. However, when God sends you His children to take care of, He also provides the way. We received an email from a friend working in Dubai that he and his wife wanted to support Lilia's Place and that they had begun making monthly contributions. It was an answered prayer! In addition to taking supplies to this family we are also able to provide an education and mentoring for these children. God is so good!
I tell you this story because it serves as a reminder to me. It is so easy sometimes to be overwhelmed with the need here in the Philippines. I often lie awake and wonder why I am bothering, I can't possibly help all the people who are in need. Am I just wasting my time? It is times such as these that I truly have to stop relying upon my own understanding and trusting in the wisdom and power of God. I am not here to help everyone, just the ones that God sends me! As long as I walk with Him and trust in His love, He will use me to make a difference in those He sends to Lilia's Place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment